Friday, August 15, 2008

From Stupendous to Speechless

The road to Jasper is called the Icefield Parkway and we had no idea what we were getting into.  Glacier National Park is named for Glaciers, right? But we didn't see any of aby size.  Here all we saw were snow covered peaks, icefields and glacier after glacier.  Again, our rain luck held out, and although there had been rain in thea rea two days before we arrived, we had sunny, blue skies, the better to see the snow, dark green evergreens, glistening waterfalls, blue, green and smokey glacial pools and braided streams.  

We camped for two nights at the southern end of Jasper and were lucky enough to be two campsites over from an Austrian threesome who layed the bass, guitar and dobro all afternoon.  I even joined them with my banjo.  Very brave for me.

Our first hike was to Parker Ridge, which was straight up through a number of switchbacks to the Saskatchewan Glacier and the headwaters of the S. River.  Can you imagine a cliff's edge full of wildflowers across from which blazed a river of ice leading into a green glacial pool out of which flowed a braided river.  We just had to plop down and enjoy the view.  Of course, we were exhausted at the end of our 6.5 km hike.   However, our congratulations ended very soon after we got back to the camp when we talked to several people who had been, over the course of two days on 17 and 20 km hikes.  Oh well.  All is relative, and I am relatively certain that those hikes were not for us.

The next day we declared a "day off" from our vacation and slept late and hung around to about 11 am.  Then we went on the BEST HIKE ever past a 50-60 foot gorge

through which thundered a series of 7 waterfalls.    The weather was unseasonably hot, about 87 degrees, so of course, nothing stopped me from plunging in to the freezing cold water on several occasions.  (Black bikini undies do look like bathing suit bottoms, right?)  We took lunch and camped out next to the highest falls for a couple of hours, reading and snoozing, until we felt it was time to leave.  How perfect can you get?

 

Oops.  Today was the MOST PEARFECT HIE EVER!  We took a 3.5 hour hike on the Athabasca Glacier which came right down from the Colombia Glacier.  A bit of hisotyr here.  A number of hears ago David and I were in McCarthy, AK and decided to forgo to guided hike on that glacier and took off on our own in sneakers and hiking boots.  Well, we got stuck and had to be talk down after hakcing out steps in the glacier with rocks and become bloodied and torn in the process.  So, when we saw the sign-up sheet for guided hikes on this glacier, we jumped at the chance.

Even though the temperature was about 75 degrees in the parking lot, we loaded up with long underwear, hats, gloves, scraves and hiking boots to which we afixed crampons when we got on the glacier. With our guide Peter and his dog George, we were off.  What a wonderful trip and since words fail,here are the photo.

 

 

 

And you wonder why David is not in more photos?

Tomorrow its off to the rodeo in Jasper!  This should be a more professional rodeo than the others we have been to.  Hopefully there won't be any mutton busting at this one.

29 comments:

  1. Guess who read your blog. Sylvia came over today (Sat 8/16) and finally caught up. I'll read it later. Glad you're getting to enjoy the olympics. Sylvia enjoyed reading your adventures and your house looks great. Enjoy your new home and keep the news coming. Glad to hear that you have indoor plumbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen,

    Greatings from PA and happy brithday! I bet this is the best one yet. It's been great reading your blog but I have to go back a bit as I've missed the past few weeks. My best to you and David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uqzpfbvngpdnynvq

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,Fantastic article,it's so helpful to me,and your blog is very good,I've learned a lot from your blog here,Keep on going,my friend,I will keep an eye on it,One more thing,thanks for your post!welcome to 米志趣博.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you in a position to information me for your website owner or the person which looks after your site, I would like to know if it would be easy to be described as a guest poster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just remember it all started with the Beatles, but then Sabbath took the reigns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. louis vuitton belts sale...

    Justin Bieber could only be 18 many years previous, but it is actually no top secret which the pop sensation has now accomplished a degree of successes that's incredibly extraordinary for anyone, a good deal significantly less a young person. She's a...

    ReplyDelete
  8. For hottest news you have to go to see world-wide-web and on web I found this site as
    a most excellent web site for most recent updates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks, fast delivery, color as on the picture. Very much it was pleasant. I recommend this supplier! ! !Received item and it was as described. Leather has an extremely good feel to touch. Color was good and the design was well done. Quality appears to have suffered a bit on this item. Some flaws were discovered on the stitching and on the trim of the item.
    [url=http://www.baypointmarina.com/wp-includes/brand/ralph-lauren-baby-shoes.html]ralph lauren baby shoes[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything was perfect except the size. They dont fit me because they are a smaller size than the one I ordered. My size in Argentina is forty... you sent me size thirty eight. I dont know whether it was my mistake when ordering or yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goods of excellent quality, fast delivery, good communication. I recommend this sellerGreat seller. received quickly put the color came different from that requested. Still recommend otimo material and workmanship.Fast shipping. My hand reached in 12 days. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the bag! It is beautiful and has a great to finish. Arrived in 33 days! Super recommend!!The product is of synthetic material. The price paid is a bit higher than product quality.Otima a bolsa, so compro com esse vendedor, ja comprei varias. Recomendo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the design of the shoe a lot and the shoe is pretty. I just wish the inside material was sewn better and did not show from the outside when I'm wearing the shoe. I am going to have to find a way to trim the excess material down. Other than that, I like the shoe a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This now estranged couple sharing with Fowler their daughter needed jaw surgery and a heart transplant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of the eiabe and most famos somekeywod stoe in India is Majo bands. This improves your strength as well as the speed with which you can put the strength to use. Unfortunately, money makes the world turn and antacid and some prescription companies need customers to stay in business. Gonna catch Prometheus again in regular 3D in part in hopes of seeing the Life of Pi scene, really excited for that filmgot to go see this in 3D on the new 70 ft screen in town.
    nike air jordan 4

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great article. I will be going through many of these issues
    as well..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there every one, here every person is sharing these familiarity, so it's nice to read this
    website, and I used to go to see this web site daily.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew
    of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time
    and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy
    reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes! Finally someone writes about best strollers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This paragraph will assist the internet visitors for creating
    new weblog or even a weblog from start to end.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, I wish for to subscribe for this web site to obtain latest updates, thus where can i do it please assist.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This website was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me.

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What's up, constantly i used to check weblog posts here early in the daylight, because i like
    to gain knowledge of more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi to every one, it's actually a nice for me to visit this web site,
    it consists of valuable Information.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello There. I discovered your weblog using msn. That is a really neatly written article.

    I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful information. Thank you for the post.
    I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Useful info. Lucky me I found your site accidentally, and I am stunned why this accident didn't happened earlier!
    I bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete