Wednesday, August 20, 2008

One More Rodeo or You Can't Trust the Signs

We camped at Whistlers Campground in Jasper National Park.  This is a larger and more primitive park than Banff and the town, which is in the park, is smaller than Banff townsite as well.  Thus, the signage isn’t so good.


Our first full day we took a hike to the Valley of the Five Lakes.  Except that it turned out to be a hike to “the missing lakes” because somehow we missed the turnoff on the trail and ended up hiking through fields and up hills all the while hearing a bubbling stream to our right.  Since it was an unseasonably 90 degrees the hike was not going well at all.  I finally stopped and said, “No more”, at which point David headed straight downhill through brush and brambles until he found the stream and called me to follow. We spent a lovely afternoon dipping into the stream, eating lunch and just enjoying the silence and each other.  Then back up the hill and home to Celeste to get ready for the rodeo.  We had met a waitress at a bar the night before and asked her about the rodeo and she said, "Yeh,  Its great.  They even have real cowboys.  I wne t the other night andone of them said "Howdy Ma'am."  That was enogh for me. This was a real rodeo with grown-up cowboys, bucking broncos, steer wrestling and a dance afterwards.  The rodeo was on the dirt covered ice rink in the Jasper activities center and the dance afterwards was to be in the curling lounge, luckily not covered with ice for the occasion.  We cannot wait to see if Fairbanks has a curling team.  Those little curling stones are so cute.


The following day was another sign fiasco as we tried to find Bubbling Falls and the Pocahontas Mine.   David is the miner in the middle. We found the turn-off but no signage for the mine and then hiked up and up a very dusty path looking for the waterfalls, but finding only a man and his son who said we missed the turn and not to worry because there was no water at this time of year anyway.  So, down and down we went, back into our car and on the road for not more than 2 minutes when we came to a pull-off where we could see the “no-water” falls right by the side of the road.  Pretty strange.


All was forgiven, however, when we saw bunches of cars pulled off on the shoulder (where there was absolutely no signs whatsoever) and found dozens of people wading across a mile wide, fast running glacial river which was no deeper than their knees.  So, in we went to wade with them.  Absolutely sandy bottom, absolutely level, cold and fast running.  What fun (How many of you would be brave enough to show that photo?)


Back to the campground to find the resident elk parading about.


The nest day, August 18 was my birthday which we celebrated at a campground outside of Dawson Creek and Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway. We are on our way to Alaska!


David made a new friend in Banff at the Icefields Center.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Ellen!

    I am working from Marlene's computer and submitted a comment, I think. I got an error message and could not get back to the comment screen to try to resend.

    Let me know if you did not get a posting from immediately before this one, and I will write again.

    Good luck on the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first post from last evening was lost, so I will try again.

    Alex and I are flying to Alberta on 9/13 for a week in Calgary, Banff and Edmonton. I took a trip with my grandmother 35 years ago from Calgary into the Canadian Rockies and back on our way to Vancouver to see my uncle. It was memorable! Your blog brings back memories of that trip and the magnificent scenery. I am very much looking forward to sharing the experience with my son.

    In 1963 (I think), my parents took the family on a cross-county camping trip in our 1960 Ford Falcon station wagon. We camped at an Indian reservation in South Dakota, and at Glacier, Olympic, Crater Lake, Yellowstone, Teton and Devil's Tower -- many of the same places you have just been. We saw the Badlands and Mount Rushmore. Crazy Horse was a dream, a model, and a mountain of rock back then.

    My sister and her husband are semi-retired and live in a "fifth wheel" house trailer that they tow to Arizona in the winter. On their way to and from Arizone they have visited Bryce and other parks on your itinerary. My sister has raved about them.

    Your house in Alaska looks fantastic -- though it reminds me a bit of pictures in the newspapers recently of the home of a certain Alaskan politician. Are you sure you know who you are renting from?

    Enjoy the rest of your trip, and your stay in Alaska.

    Now that I have finally caught up with your blog, I will try to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sun 8/24, Got your post card yesterday. Thanks so much. I read it to Sylvia. I really like David's new friend. Actually, David, you look like you lost some weight, or is it the new company you're keeping?
    Watching the closing ceremonies of the Olympics. What a show. Too gaudy.

    Will you be able to register and vote in the election? I certainly hope so! Keep enjoying yourselves.
    Love and kisses, Selma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at this store, it has all the camping products you need...

    [...]One More Rodeo or You Can’t Trust the Signs | David and Ellen[...]...

    ReplyDelete