Friday, July 25, 2008

My Opinion: A Shame and Disgrace

The day afterRushmore we decided to take a very long drive to visit Wounded Knee and the Badlands.


MY OPINION:


I have to interject an editorial here about Wounded Knee.  As we always do, we research the site we are visiting in the AAA book and on a map and on the GPS.  Neither our GPS nor AAA had ANY reference to Wounded Knee, nor did anyone we spoke to have any information about it.  We eventually found it on the map and started our trip.  Not once did we see a sign or any indication that it existed.  We drove onto the Pine Ridge Reservation and things looked even bleaker.  Miles of empty road with an occasional trailer parked in a field.  Finally we came upon a small pine bough covered lean-to off to the side of the road with a hand lettered sign “Visitor Information” and a rather ragged billboard with the history of Wounded Knee Massacre.  We spoke with the Lakota woman manning the information booth who showed us a homemade history and told us her story.  She was raising two grandchildren, having sent two of her own children successful away from the res. as adults. Although there were schools on the reservation, there were no stores or churches and she was earning money by manning the information booth and selling trinkets.  She pointed out her trailer with an outside and no running water. She showed us the hillside where the mass grave had been dug for the massacred Indians, and a memorial stone put up by the son of one of the murdered Indians.  The path to the grave was unpaved and the graveyard was decrepit. 


Isn’t this part of our history?  Do we only record our successes?  Aren’t our disgraces part of our history too?  Aren’t the Indians part of our history?


The next day we heard on the radio that the county in South Dakota that encompasses the Pine Ridge Reservation is the third poorest in the country.  What gives?


BACK TO OUR TRIP


After we spent the morning at Wounded Knee we attempted to go to the Badlands, but missed it.  Despite the GPS and David the surveyor, we lost thousands of acres of Badlands), had a terrible fight (unrelated to the loss) and stormed on home.  However, we did see this fine dinasour in a field, all by himself.


 

10 comments:

  1. OK a fight, Celest on a forklift, and a huge blue dinosaur. It is REALLY time to come home now!!
    Love you and miss you terribly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely. History certainly does repeat itself many many times. Have you ever read "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"? If not try to get a copy or a download. How accurate it is will we ever know? But it certainly opened my eyes, made me hot, cold, nauseated and depressed. Just the ticket for light summer reading but should be mandatory in every high school, and that's my opinion.
    Your trip is fantastic, if you are missing anything I haven't heard of it. However I agree with Layla, it's time you admitted you're just kidding and are turning around for home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just had a chance to review your adventures. I'm jealous, not of everything but of most. I've always had a tug at my heart strings as far as the plight of the Indians in their getting a raw deal. I always wanted to travel to the reservation I conribute financially to just to see if it's making any difference. I will try to find the "Bury My Heart...." book that Candy suggested. Should be a good if not disturbing read.
    I'm so enjoying your fascinating trip and am awaiting your next chapter...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy, As Meadow would say, "Your my new BFF"! I think if we get others to join the "bring them home" movement it may just work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cxvjc3988rlc5xjj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey,
    I visited wounded knee in july, 2009. I had a lot of the same thoughts as you did. There is now a wounded knee museum in the town of wall on the interstate (ie wall drug). I would highly recommend going there first and planning to spend a few hgours there because there is a lot to see and read; and then going to the actual site on the rez. It really struck me how many of the individual graves there are kids under 2yo.

    http://www.woundedkneemuseum.org/index.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. My wife and I just got back home from trip to Yellowstone. We saw Rushmore, and Crazy Horse.. We were more interested in the Crazy Horse monument,then that of Rushmore. We went to the Wounded Knee Museum in Wall; And while at the Wounded Knee Museum,tears came to our eyes. It had such an impact on us both;because of this we didn't go to the actual site. This was just one act against them; the government has been playing with thier lives for over 100 years. And they take a coward(G.A. Custer)and make him a General.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi all certainly there. May possibly favorited out artecle my hubby and i truly also can look over the following later on. Our aplogize in the event it all definitely seems to be ridiculous even One was in fact looking significantly every person could actually reveal to people using increase the this website to that idea dekstop. Anyways, thnks yet again!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb perform! This can be the kind of info that are supposed to be distributed around the web. A sense of shame around the engines like google for no for a longer period location this specific distribute higher! Seriously above along with pay a visit to this site. Thanks a lot Equates to)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is
    written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble.

    You're wonderful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete